Ignition Switch Safety Recall
In February, 2014, General Motors recalled 1.6 million vehicles because of a faulty ignition switch that has been linked to the deaths of 13 people. To make matters worse, the company may have known about the defect for over a decade.
Cracked Intake Manifold
A cracked intake manifold gasket is allowing coolant to leak in many Pontiac engines. But is DexCool to blame?…
Where Engine Complaints Happen
Sometimes it helps just to tally up the complaints and see where the biggest stacks are. Use this information to learn about troublespots or to run for the hills.
- 2001 Grand Am engine turns over, will not start 80 (100%)
- 2001 Grand Am leaking coolant, cracked intake manifold gasket 63 (79%)
- 2003 Grand Am intake manifold leaking 47 (59%)
- 2002 Grand Am intake manifold gasket failure 36 (45%)
- 2000 Grand Am intake manifold gaskets failure 34 (43%)
- 2002 Grand Prix leaking coolant, cracked intake manifold gasket 27 (34%)
- 1999 Montana intake manifold gasket failure 25 (31%)
a href="https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/federal-gm-ignition-switch-case-dismissed.shtml">federal case against GM’s handling of their ignition switch recall might be over, but a judge has left the door open for owners to sue the automaker for economic losses if they want.
Judge Jesse Furman ruled on claims of "manifest defects," or what claims can proceed based on if the defect manifested itself to a customer. The consolidated lawsuit is a massive 1,700 pages of arguments that GM should pay any vehicle owner who owned a recalled car equipped with bad ignition switches.
If you own (or have owned) one of the affected cars, this judge says you should be able to sue GM even if problems related to the ignition switch never affected you personally.
Normally I’d say there’s no way that’ll hold up in court … but it just did.
This post originally appeared on ChevroletProblems.com.keep reading
The ignition switch can be knocked out of the "run" position by bumping into it. Once that happens the car loses all power steering and brakes, engine power and airbag function.
Next steps: GM hasn't said when the recall will begin, but the automaker is warning owners to allow as much clearance between your knee and key as possible by adjusting your seat and/or steering wheel. Once the recall begins, GM dealers will remove the key blade from the original transmitter assemblies and cut and fit a revised key blade and housing assembly.
Affected owners can contact Chevy at 800-222-1020 or Pontiac at 800-762-2737 and reference recall number 14445.keep reading
population of New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Montana, Delaware, South Dakota, Alaska, North Dakota, Vermont (Yes, there are people -- not just cows -- in VT) and Wyoming.
- The number of calories my Uncle Hank ate over the holiday weekend. Seriously, he's a bottomless pit.
According to GM, this latest round of problems involves mostly ignition switch related issues that are responsible for at least 7 crashes, 8 injuries and 3 deaths. The full list and details can be found here.
Unintended Key Rotation ∞
The largest part of the recall involves 7.6 million vehicles that suffer from, what GM is calling, "unintended ignition key rotation." Of course, there's another name for that too -- "unintended holy %$#! my car just shut itself off on the highway." This is dangerous and affects a wide range of cars:
- 1997-2005 Chevrolet Malibu
- 1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
- 1999-2004 Oldsmobile Alero
- 1999-2005 Pontiac Grand Am
- 2000-2005 Chevrolet Impala
- 2000-2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
- 2004-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix
What To Do Next ∞
- GM has not announced when the recall will begin
It should be in the next couple months but it's probably hard to gauge when you have 29 million vehicles in your repair queue.
- Keep an eye on your mailbox for an official recall notice with more details
Not literally, though. Putting your eye on the mailbox sounds painful and will probably worry the neighbors.
- GM is stressing the importance of removing all items from your key ring, leaving only the vehicle key
At least until your ignition is fixed. Sorry bowling league keychain -- you have to go.